In February we finished reading the Book of Mormon together as a family. It took almost four years. A few paragraphs or verses a night with a room full of tiny children. Most nights, it seems that no on is listening. Sometimes the words and concepts seem way out of their reach. But we do it anyway, hoping that somehow this simple habit will build great faith. We do it trusting a promise from the prophets that our home will have greater peace and love. We do it hoping that He will magnify our small efforts, and the effects will be a handful of women who love the Lord, and serve him.
I have had a few gospel discussions with the girls stemming from our nightly scripture study. These discussions would not have come in any other way. They were beautiful opportunities I had to bear my testimony to my girls, to teach them true principles, to share my experiences, and to encourage them in my hope that they live the gospel. Those quiet, tearful, reverent moments are sacred to me. They are treasured memories I have of the Holy Ghost prompting me to say certain things. They were answered prayers to a daily petition I have to the Lord that he will help me guide these girls to a solid gospel foundation.
We had a party to celebrate. I had cards with heroes from the Book of Mormon all around the house. The girls went on a hero hunt and when they found one we sat down and talked about that person. We gave them CTR earrings. I made temple shaped brownies. Overall, it was a lot like each night of scripture reading- lots of reminders to listen, to put down a toy. It was loud and chaotic and had the feeling of "how can this possibly be doing any good?".
The girls probably won't remember that party. They probably won't remember any of our discussions. But I hope that over the years they learn to love and trust the Savior through the scriptures.

No comments:
Post a Comment