Friday, February 13, 2009

Utah- Part 1

With bags packed and by the door, we decided last week before leaving for Utah to let Anabelle sleep until the last minute because we know there's no way she's gonna sleep on the plane. With just enough time left to dress and feed her, Braden walks into her room to the smell of vomit and I hear him asking her if she's okay and if her stomach hurts. Turns out she puked her guts out sometime in the night and then slept in it. Teach me to let her sleep with a 'Dry Clean Only' blanket. She excitedly yells, "We're riding a plane! We're going to Utah!". Okey Dokey, it was just something she ate I guess- quick bath and stick her in the car. About 15,000 feet in the air Anabelle curls up on my lap and falls asleep. Braden and I look at each other and give the silent thumbs up. Then Lila falls asleep and we look at each other and nod our heads smiling, Braden mouths, "Our kids are awesome" to me, and I agree and pinch myself to make sure this moment is real. A package of peanuts later Anabelle is erupting like a volcano (no seriously- it was shooting straight up in the air and it just kept coming). As soon as I catch a wiff of it I start gagging and heaving. I can't help it- it is an automatic response. And what does Braden do? He takes out his Dad voice and his Dad finger and he begins shaking it at me and threatening me and ordering me that I am not allowed to throw up. Those were his exact words- "not allowed". So Anabelle and all our stuff is covered in puke, I am heaving and trying to gain composure and Braden is laying the smack down on me that I had better hold on to my breakfast. He warns the passengers behind us but sadly, a little too late. Some guys nice Italian shoes will forever be tainted with Monday nights dinner. The stewardess comes and disassembles Anabelles seat, we strip her down naked,(which she loves), and she asks if she can have some cookies. After a scrubbing of the chair and seatbelts, and a mist of air freshner we settle down to a nude Anabelle happily sipping ginger ale. Then Lila is chewing on some baby puffs and chokes on one. Then she pukes all over Braden. We walked off the plane with a garbage bag full of dirty laundry and a naked toddler. My sister Lori picked us up and after about an hour in her new minivan, Anabelle puked in there too. At least this time we had access to clean clothes. And I should fairly state that when I say "we" I really mean Braden because I have nothing whatsoever to do with the clean up of such filth and disgust. And so it continued through the week. Still a good trip. More pics and tales to come.




4 comments:

H.Sons said...

Oh Julie.. Been there done that, just not on a plane. Oh man. I feel for you. And just like you, I cannot handle the puke. I am right there with the kid. But my husband is a trooper and takes it like a champ. What would we do without our men? Good luck

emilyy said...

Oh Julie... I'm so sorry!!! what else can I say. I was gagging as I read that. unfortunately I can picture that scene perfectly. All I can say is that you are so blessed you wern't flying solo. I'm sure it would have been 10x worse without the extra pair of hands and stomach. Hopefully that's the worst flight you ever have.

Kristin Tice said...

Oh my gosh! I will forever look back on our only plane ride so far with much thanksgiving! I'm so glad that Braden was there with you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie! I followed the link from Bethany's blog to yours and have thoroughly enjoyed reading it...you truly have a gift for writing--I laughed out loud several times!
I loved meeting you and Annabelle so much when I was in B'ham and appreciate you being there for me when I needed you, and for Bethany and Brooks always...you are God's gifts to us.
Dixie/Nana