Your first year was a hard one for our family. In some ways, it was a long year. But in other ways I can't believe your baby days are coming to an end. I didn't get to enjoy all of those days as I wanted to, but we are making up for it now.
You came with a light in your eyes. From day one you have radiated peace and gentleness. Even when I was a few months pregnant with you, I told your Dad that I felt that way since carrying you. Your smile completely takes over your body and warms my soul. You are mild and content and quick to laugh. You love to watch your sister and she can make you laugh doing anything and nothing at all. These days you hide yourself in blankets and clothes constantly, and yell, "TA-DA!!" when you uncover yourself. You clap every time your Dad walks into the room. Or when you hear the word "yea!", or when you hear anyone clapping.
I love the way you put your head on my shoulder when you know I am about to put you in bed. You begin to sing and hum because this is when I always sing you the lullaby song. I rarely sing anymore as we have now switched roles. It is one of my favorite moments each day. Thank you for your calming role in my life. In a time of tension and stress, you were my constant, steady source of joy. You were so low maintenance, requiring so little from me, yet providing so much. I could hold you and feel love and peace and gratitude.
I love it when I'm standing somewhere and suddenly feel tiny fingers filling up the holes in my Crocs. Or when I tickle you and you completely lose control of your body and all your parts are flailing about. I love your growly, grunty little voice and the way you crawl around the house saying, "Mom? Mom?"
Your vocabulary right now includes Mom, Dad, Lila, No no no no no, YUM!, and my very favorite, TA - DA!!!
You've just recently become mobile and that has been fun. You have already eaten all the fake mulch out of my tree. This is always the place I find you when I go looking. You still don't have a single chomper. What's going on there? Just so you know, there is so much more to life beyond applesauce.
You are so playful. You imitate everything we do. You are a very easy crowd. Recently I ran an experiment on you where I contorted my face and moved my body in every way I could think of to see if you would ever stop laughing. But you didn't. I felt so hilarious. It was awesome.
You weigh 23 pounds. 23 pounds of squishy, lovey, smiley, goodness that I adore.
The gift of you has been amazing. You make me happier and better. I'm thankful every day that there is a you and that you are mine.
Happy 1st Birthday Sugar Plum!
Is this not the face of a fun kid?
At Toys R Us picking out a birthday present. Which turned out to be a front facing car seat. It got frustrating to try to explain to a baby that we are out of milk and I need her to suck in while I buckle her straps so we can go to the store. A bit of a lame present, yes. But can you you put a price on safety? I think not. (but if you could it would be somewhere around $67)
6 comments:
Happy, Happy Birthday, Lila! You have brought my life joy as well, thanks to your awesome mommy sharing all of your fun little stories and details with us! xoxo :)
Happy Birthday! She looks just so sweet and I can't believe that I have not met her. Weird! And could she look any more like Braden? I think not.
Happy Birthday to a BEAUTIFUL girl!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LILA! You sweet, adorable little thing. Let's tell Tim to hurry up and get married so we can all get together.
She is such an adorable chunk! Agh.,.I can't stand baby fat...it has to be one of the best things in the world.
We would love to be added to your reader's list once you go private.
Karla and Ryan
obxkarla@gmail.com
Lila is one little package of Joy. I'm so grateful for her life, and for each of you! Love, Mom Reynolds
Post a Comment