But we were just in Pheonix.
Then St. George.
Then home for a few days, just the girls.
We're basically just following Braden around, while we still have that option.
Just minutes after writing the previous croupe post from weeks ago, Braden called to tell me that it didn't look like his missions were going to finish until Thanksgiving. And then he would have to go right to Idaho after that for some more training. And that training is because a few weeks before that, he called me to say that he got a call that he will be deploying soon. He doesn't always call with such crappy news. Sometimes he calls to tell me to look up a really funny Youtube video he found. I like those calls. Or sometimes he calls to tell me about a really yummy sandwhich shop he's eating at. Those calls are hit or miss. If I happen to be eating pancakes for the 6th time that week with the girls they tend to not be well received.
ANYWAY, stacking 9 weeks of training on top of a 6 month deployment has not done wonders for my general life excitement.
So when he called me and told me that he would be delayed, I packed a bag and put the girls in the car and we drove to Pheonix to be with him. The croupish bug spread through all of us gals. We have stayed in hotel rooms and TLF with nothing to do the whole day but wait for Braden to be done. Maisey does her cool trick where she cries for a few hours at night unconsolably which is less helpful when we are all squished together. At least the weather was nice in Pheonix so we could walk to a park. Here, it is 15 degrees and we seriously don't go anywhere. In fact, we didn't even get out of our jammies today. BUT, we did eat a freezer lasagna together, and that's basically what I'm after. I will take what I can get.
And in a few days we'll go home, all of us together. In our house. For a few weeks at least. I'm feeling very excited about that. I'm trying not to let the dread take over and ruin what little precious time we have. It's a task you know. A constant mental fight that I don't always win.
But it is a blessing to realize, really truly understand, how valuable family time is. How much it means to have dinner together, even if it's in a hotel room and even if it's some crappy frozen lasagna that gives me heart burn for the next three hours. Jack Johnson said it best, "It's always better when we're together".
These photos are from Pheonix. Besides getting to see Braden, we got to hang out with some of our favorite people, who also happen to be family. My cousin, Melanie, who I cleverly refer to as Cousin. When I'm 33 I want to be exactly like her. I haven't figured out how I'm gonna pull off her deceptive ability to lie and maintain a cold-hard poker face, but I won't back down until I get there.
One of the very best things that happened is that Lila started to smile again. And laugh. It was nothing short of medicinal for me. It causes me great agony and worry to see her so burdened, apparently with the instability of our family of late. To see her regain some joy has brought me relief beyond description.



3 comments:
Oh, Cousin, I love you.
Ahhh, so is Braden gone, then? That's what I gathered from the next post's pictures. I'm in that same sad boat with Gracie. Always upset and sucking on her thumb like there's no tomorrow. I'll be praying for you guys. Always am!
You are a talented and beautiful writer, Julie. Your family is beautiful and we appreciate the sacrifices you are all making for our country. Prayers and love sent your way...
Post a Comment