Sunday, May 20, 2012
The day my girls learned the P word
My sister Michelle keeps an array of animals on hand. My children think that this is great. Recently, she called to tell me that one of her goats had a baby, and that if I brought the girls down, they could feed the newborn goat with a bottle. I thought that would make a bunch of kids happy (HA! get it? I said kids and I'm talking about baby goats?!) so we swung by one afternoon. Just as we walked out in the backyard, we discovered that another goat had just had a baby. We watched as Michelle toweled off the baby and wondered if there was another twin on the way (which there ended up being and we got to watch. It is way more fun to watch birth be given than to give birth- just in case the jury is still out on that one.) I asked Lila what would be a good name for the fresh creature covered in afterbirth that she was presently nuzzling. She stood there saying "hmmmmmmmmm.......um.......um.......". Meanwhile, about 15 feet off Anabelle and Michelle are chatting:
A: Is it a boy or a girl?
M: I don't know. Let's check.(looks between legs). It's a boy.
A: How do you know?
M: Because it has a penis.
A: What's a penis?
And then suddenly, Lila had a great idea. "Let's name him Penis! I think Penis will be a good name!"
Hey I'm all about anatomically correct teaching, but there just hasn't been much need for P-talk around our house.
And then Anabelle said she'd like to drink the goats milk. So Michelle milked the goat and strained the milk and the girls drank it up rather disturbingly. Anabelle's eyes rolled back in her head as she described to me that it was the most deliciious thing and that it was so creamy and asked when she could drink it again.
Between watching the miracle of life play out in sloppy bloody animal form, the warm milk I was feeding my kids, and the afterbirth that was covering their faces and hands, I myself left there feeling a little queasy.
But boy did I leave there with a happy (and more educated), bunch of kids.
I did however enjoy getting to ask Michelle the next day how her little Penis was doing. Because yes, I'm that mature.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Ba Ha HA! That's funny!It doesn't matter how old or mature you are- one sister asking another sister how her Penis is doing-IS funny!
Thanks for the post.
Denis and I laughed really hard at this :)
I snorted. Like, actually snorted. So awesome!
Love this story...lol
Post a Comment