Thursday, July 23, 2009

Awww shucks

Lila had two tests done at Children's yesterday as a follow up to her UTI in May. After they gave her antibiotics I didn't feel that they were working so they gave her a big strong shot of another kind. But she hasn't been herself since then- yelling and throwing her body about in a crazy violent way. But there were no other symptoms. I kept waiting for a fever to indicate another infection. Monday I decided I had to take her to the pediatrician because her behavior was so unlike her. They checked her ears, teeth, and even cathed her and checked her urine. Everything was fine. Dr. Dennis said she was just being grumpy. That didn't make me happy. Well yesterday she had a renal ultrasound and a VCUG (Voiding CystoUrethroGram- which she sobbed pitifully through). In the ultrasound they discovered that she has a congenital kidney defect-her left kidney is bigger than her right kidney-they called it a duplicated collecting system. She said it is sort of rare to have and seems to be hereditary (all future beldo-gulia anklebiters must get these tests around 2 months of age). So that by itself is not terrible but then in the VCUG they found that she has bilateral reflux of both kidneys. So here's why that combo is no good: she is susceptible or prone to infections, then her body refluxes the infected urine up to her kidneys, which damages the kidneys. At least thats what I understand thus far. So she is now on an antibiotic that she has to take everyday, probably for the next few years at least to try to prevent further kidney damage. We are now being sent to a urologist to determine the "grades" and "phases" that her defects/conditions are in, ie; how severe her specific case is, do we need surgery or can we medicate and see if she will grow out of the reflux. I'm sure everything will be good in the end.

I'm anxious to get to the Urologist and get some more specific information. And I have to admit, I also feel a curiosity about a guy who decided to spend his life working with pee and private parts. I guess somebody has to do it. But I have always wondered how that decision comes about. That and proctology. Like when they are in med school and it comes time to decide on what their specialty will be and they announce to their family around the dinner table that it will be the study of the colon, rectum and anus. Undoubtedly someone asks why, and I would love to be around for the answer. It seems like all the doctors I know get hit up for advice all the time, in all sorts of casual and social settings. Do people do this to urologists and proctologists too? Do they dare? I'm sure all conversations start with, "So I have this friend...." I'm dying to meet this guy. I gotta get to the bottom of this. Bottom- ha ha ha...



This little gem in the Children's Harbor is new since we've been there last. At home we often hear Lila pounding away at the piano, perched on her tippy toes planking at whatever keys she can reach. She was ecstatic at this opportunity to play her heart out at a piano that was just her size. And pink no less. I tried to get her to play with different toys but she would have nothing else. Pink piano or bust. It makes her Daddy proud.

Grumpy? Sheesh, who do you think you are calling this kid grumpy?

10 comments:

Aly said...

Poor girl and poor mom! Seriously. I hope it isn't too serious, the damage and all. I am glad you figured it out though. We have to take Trey to the urologist in a couple of weeks too, and I have always been curious about those people also. Can't wait! We'll have to compare notes. Good luck.

Philip and Jaime Connor said...

Well, we seem to be having all these kidney issues lately! What's with that? I hope that it is not too serious and that they will be able to make her all better soon. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

We had to take Justice to the Urologist too. It was for something different, but he ended up having to have surgery. The Dr. was VERY nice and completely approachable. Justice is great now. Hope everything works out okay.

Mindy said...

I'm sorry about little Lila! I hope she feels better soon and the doctors can be on the ball with figuring out what she needs :)

Melanie said...

I'm glad you found out what the problem was and didn't keep getting the run-around or sent home. Hopefully the urologist finds a satisfactory solution. It's no fun for anyone when babies can't be themselves because they don't feel good.

Miss SassyLaLa said...

So sorry sweetie. One thing after another it seems. But seriously no kidding who could call her grumpy. I am also with you who becomes a butt doctor? When you find out why let me know. OHHH!! check out my blog you will die. and add me to you email list runnerdiva714@live.com

Josh,Trish,Braden and Mackenzie said...

oh connor you crack me up totally. you know i must say that you would probably be able to hold in your laughter really well as a proctologist...there are alot of ugly looking booties out there. On a serious note, I hope the little angel gets better.

Kristine said...

Gosh, Julie - had no idea about Lila. I guess that little girl is pretty darn special...so sorry about her most recent problems. Love you all. Mom Reynolds

emilyy said...

Poor baby has been through more than most people have in a life span. She is such an angel though. Good luck with Dr Pee Man. When you find your answers you will have to share.

ariannet said...

Hey Julie, it sounds like little Lila has what I had when I was a kid, at least the reflux part. They did surgery when I was four and I had problems on and off until I was 10 or so, but I grew out of it. I'm sure she will be fine, too.