For the last few years I have been hearing people ask Anabelle what grade she is in. Maybe it's because she talks about the French Revolution. Maybe its because she traps you in your own faulty logic and then demands a better answer. Maybe it's because she throws around words like 'specifcally, generally, legitimately,literally, etc;" in a very natural way. But yes, she JUST finished preschool. She only did three months of it for 6 hours a week, but she loved every minute of it. And so did I. What?! I don't have answers to all of her questions...a girl can only google so many things. I fear once she figures out how to navigate Google herself I will render myself completely useless to her (and that will likely occur in the next 12-18 months). I met with with her teacher for a parent-teacher conference a few weeks ago. All the boxes were checked with "mastered skill". She said there wasn't too much to discuss, only that once Anabelle came into the class she became the interpreter for the teacher. Ms. Marji would give the kids directions, then the kids would sorta sit there, then Anabelle would exaplain to all the kids what Ms. Marji wanted them to do, then all the kids understood and did it. Good to know she's bright. It's not however, helpful in my campaign to convince Anabelle that she isn't the boss of the whole entire universe. She had been yakking on and on about graduation for weeks, and practicing her songs for their performance. So I was really excited to watch her graduate. You can catch a glimpse of all that excitement in the group shot. She frowned the entire time. And rocked back and forth in a disturbing way without hardly singing, throughout their performance. Then when she sat down next to me I questioned her about it. She said, "I wasn't. I was having fun". Oh. Apparently I missed the memo that it was "have fun while maintaining the appearance that you actually deeply hate all those in attendance" day. Anyway, she got a cupcake at the end and if you ask her about her preschool graduation all she'll say to you is that she got a cupcake. So I'm sort of hoping that it's going to work like that in my parenting too. Maybe she won't remember my lack of patience and other shortcomings. Perhaps she'll just say, "Um, I got some cupcakes". That might really benefit me in the end.
Here's to Kindergarten!
No comments:
Post a Comment