Maisey is very sick. I spent the whole day holding her. In fact all the girls are sick, to varying degrees, but she is by far the worst. She has a very high fever that won't break, along with vomiting, diahhrea, congestion, mucus, and a double ear infection.
I laid in her room with her on the floor as she lay perfectly still and miserable. I had spent every moment of the day either holding her or taking care of her or washing soiled laundry from her and Lila. By late afternoon I was exhausted and lay reflecting on the day as I sang her song after song. I began to sing "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" and tears started flowing. I thought of all the things I had done today. None of them glamorous or fun. Although I didn't get to go to church today, at the end I still felt very uplifted as the realization came to me that I spent my day doing exactly what the Savior would have. Comforting, nurturing, easing burdens, and giving love. I was overcome in that moment with the great honor it is to Mother a child. I have a quote written in my scriptures that I love which reads, "Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels". It was clear to me after the day I had why it says that motherhood is near to divinity. If we're doing it right, we are spending our days nurturing and loving as the Savior himself would love our children. And maybe we need times of sickness to help us to slow down and give that level of love.
.

Maisey's spectacular bed head

I asked Anabelle to come sit with her for a minute so I could change the laundry. I walked by to see her gently stroking her forehead and singing her favorite song. These are my most cherished moments.
1 comment:
So I've had a tough week and I got on my blog tonight for the sole purpose of getting on to your blog and I kept repeating in my mind "Please let her have posted something new. Please. I just want to see some of the cutest girls I've ever met and smile tonight." Looks like your week was even worse than mine. Wish I could have been there to help you with the sick girls. Love you guys!
Post a Comment