Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Waking up to inspiration

I was awoken in the night with thoughts of the Savior's ministry, particularly as it relates to the woman taken in adultery, and felt that I should record my impressions. The peers of this woman wanted to stone her to death, something that after seeing it on a movie, has become absolutely horrific and appalling to me. They present her to the Savior, knowing where he stands on the subject of adultery, I would assume expecting him to validate them in their accusations and punishment. Rather than condemn her to death for her mistake, He gets down on the ground with her. On her level. He does not treat her with disgust. He is clear and firm and does not make an allowance for the sin. Rather, He invites her to change. He is able to recognize a mistake made by a sinner, as opposed to an evil person without any hope and undeserving of a second chance. It is interesting to me that it is this sin that she is caught in- a serious sin and something regarded as the most sacred by our Heavenly Father. And yet, it is never too late. The Savior, without hesitation, forgives her, thus sending her on a path of repentance and change and hope.

Knowing in that moment something that no one else realized, that He would be the one to feel the true weight of her sin, was without anger, and withheld no love. Instead He was filled with mercy and compassion and love. He freely gave her a chance to change and showed confidence in her ability to do so.

I hope that I can look more frequently to His example in my parenting. When the Pharisees had delivered her up to Him, and were waiting for him to condemn her, He stooped down and wrote on the ground, as if they were not speaking. The footnote about that directs you to the TG for the teaching mode of Jesus Christ. I want for his teaching mode to come through in my teaching and dealings with my children. He doesn't harp on her, He doesn't immediately do anything for that matter. In fact, he kneels down and writes again in the sand. Nothing in his reaction is hasty, thoughtless, or reactive. He is patient. He is calm. I think I must have been awoken to this particular story for my benefit, as an answer to a nightly prayer to know how to help Lila. Yesterday I was so thoroughly frustrated with her. I don't know if I ever really yelled at her before but knowing that she was repeatedly being defiant, left me feeling justified in treating her roughly. This morning, after I was awoken with these thoughts, I feel differently. I feel like she needs to be held accountable for the things that she does- that particular phrase keeps coming to my mind, but the manner in which I do that needs to change. Interesting that an answer to my prayers to help her were about how I can change, not about her.

Today I am praying for patience and an increase of love for her, so that she feels capable of changing instead of condemned for her behavior.

1 comment:

Philip and Jaime Connor said...

Wow Julie! You are such a great example of motherhood to me. Thanks for sharing.