Saturday, August 8, 2015

Arches National Park

After the reunion we spent a few more days in Utah. We stayed with the McKay's, we visited Jeff & Jen, we stopped off to see a friend at our old base. And then we got back on the road and headed back to OklaHOMEa. But we figured it would be a shame to just drive right by Arches National Park. It was tempting. We are no fools. Five little kids, including a nursing baby, sans carrier for said baby. Lots of walking, lots of heat, less than ideal hiking shoes for anyone. But still. You can't just drive by something like that. We braced ourselves, booked a room nearby, and called it our vacation for the year. The hotel had a pool so it totally counted. And you know what? It worked out. It was absolutely beautiful. The kind of scenery that just overwhelms you. It's too bad I wasn't homeschooling then. I could have been so over the top annoying in an educational I-am-your-teacher-and-your-mom sort of way. There were plenty of whiny moments where small people had shoe problems/thirst problems/tired problems. Braden and I had to trade off seeing things because of a sleeping baby. Our arms were achy from toting Emmett all day. But overall, they did great. And I hope they remember these kinds of things. Because the moments of insanity/annoyance are worth it. Note to grown up kids for the future: If you don't remember that we took you here, and a hundred other things like this, we did. And you likely whined at some point. And you probably wasted the 14 dollar sandwich we were forced to buy you, and then had the audacity to tell me that you were hungry 7 minutes later. But I would do it all again. Because being with my favorite people while being surrounded by incredible nature is always the right choice. Plus, I'm not sure what all the international tourists would have taken pictures of if we weren't there.

PS Kids: you owe me $14.00. At least.

We met up with one of Braden's mission companions in Salt Lake who was visiting from Brazil. The kids were ecstatic to play on the dinosaurs again.

We also briefly stopped at our old neighborhood. This hug is exactly what I had envisioned. I sure miss Dayton being Maisey's best pal. And I miss my pal, too. But wow, being on base again made me feel so stifled. All those houses so close together with people everywhere....I don't know that I can ever do that again now that I know how nice a little space is.

old friends
Lila Canyon!


Just driving casually down the road. Totally relaxed. No big deal. Seriously though, being a hottie with big muscles is an oft overlooked blessing of being a good Dad. It's the natural effects of carrying a baby around the desert all day. 





I'm a little bit glad we weren't homeschooling then, because then I'd have to try to explain this and........well.......it looks super neat?!
fish out of water




Anabelle and I went on our own little hike together


I love all the layers of the rocks. And I love that converse-wearing, exploring girl I was with.














































No comments: