I hear other people follow a much different process for costuming their children for Halloween than I do. I think it involves soliciting the child's opinion in the matter. There are a few things wrong with this approach. The first being that they could want something that's not on the 90% off rack. And the second, and perhaps even worse, it could be boring. If I left it up to the kids to pick their own costumes we would all have to endure pictures of little Disney princesses. Blech. Some things are better left to the wisdom and discretion of adults, and this is one of them. Seeing small children in fabulous costumes is a payoff for me. I haven't slept in the better part of a decade. I clean more dishes and bodily fluids than I care to think about. I never eat my own food. So the way I see it, they owe my this. They have to let me dress them up and laugh at them. I've earned it.
The kids were old people and Braden and I were their nursing home aids, doing what we do-changing diapers and wiping faces. That was just for the ward party. On actual Halloween I told them they could be what they wanted. Anabelle and Maisey were 80's rockers. Even though they don't know what that means. I told them if anybody asked what they were they could just say they were tacky. Lila insisted she be " a soldier who goes to war like my Dad". She spent the night trying to master her salute. She never quite arrived but her attempts were golden. I was so grateful to have Braden home this year. I love Halloween. I love little people dressed as old people. I love those little people gathering Almond Joy's for me.
![]() |
| This looks remarkably like the three girls who wore this before her. Love me a two year old kangaroo. |














































No comments:
Post a Comment