As fierce defenders of spontaneous parenting (read too lazy and disorganized to plan), we decided to go to Sea World last weekend. The winter tends to make me a tad bit grumpy and before long I start looking around for cheap fixes of sunshine. In my haste, I failed to thoroughly check hours and dates. About five hours into our trip to San Antonio I realized that Sea World would be closed on the day we planned to go. This was after we spent hours spelling every ocean themed word we could think of. It was crushing. We turned around and drove several more hours to get to Spring. We had planned on going there and also to Longview anyway as part of our trip. In the end it worked out.
We were able to spend more time with Phil's family and my parents and Grandma. I was so enthused about our visit. My kids enjoyed a walk with Granddad, chatting with him for several hours around a campfire, and exploring the creek behind Grandma's house with my Mom. Braden and I sat around around the fire and talked with them after the kids were in bed and that was such a rare and precious opportunity. I heard stories from Dad's mission that I had never heard before.
Sometimes our best laid plans can change, offering us a special opportunity. Turns out, the same thing can happen to our sloppy last minute plans as well.
I will always be grateful for those few lovely days.
 |
| At the zoo in Houston. We finally got to meet smiley Owen. |
 |
| Maisey and Dallin in her happy place. This girl is constantly drumming on everything. Some days I tell myself that I should buy her a drum because she loves to do it and it comes so naturally to her that it seems a crime not to develop that. But then I remember that it's also a crime to hurt a child, which might happen if I had her drumming in my house all day. |
 |
| This is exactly how I felt being so close to the giraffes. It was all I could do not to hug this beautiful creature. |
 |
| Whenever I look back and see my kids hugging, holding hands, and giggling together it makes me feel like maybe we're doing something right, even if it is only buying the biggest bag of pretzels and giving them the green light on it. |
 |
| This tunnel was a hoot to crawl through with the kids. |
 |
| Add caption |
 |
| See, they don't even have pretzels this time. The love is real. |
 |
| Elise lavished Granddad in her unreserved affection.Also, she gave him a pretty cool hair-do. |
 |
| Grandmother at the creek |
 |
| Children's museum in Houston |
No comments:
Post a Comment