Without a doubt, conference weekends are some of my very favorite times of year. I love the changing of the seasons in both the fall and the spring. I love to hunker down as a family and enjoy those seasons in between sessions. I am working hard to create meaningful traditions centered around these spiritual fountains. Watching the kids respond to our expectation that they listen to eight hours of adults speaking has been a powerful reminder of who they are. They came to us with a certain amount of faith. We're not building from the ground up here. Our job is just to grow what is already there. I watched Lila, who struggles with severe inattentiveness, sit with perfect reverence, hour after hour. She didn't even play quietly with blocks as the others did from time to time. She laid down and listened. She seemed connected. She seemed engaged. She was touched. The words of the speakers largely exceeded her vocabulary and comprehension. But the Spirit helped her to receive messages. I don't know what they were. But it was the most focused she has been in months. Her behavior and the situation went against all the rules and norms of kids "on the spectrum". I felt like I was watching her remember things. One of my favorite quotes was from Elder Anderson: "While a child's earthly situation may not be ideal, their spiritual DNA is perfect". It made me think of Lila of course. It reminded me that I have the honor of mothering a spirit who understands love in a way that most of us don't. It's not flashy and it doesn't get her any attention. She doesn't understand skin color or economic divide or smart or attractive. She just loves. This great power to love and to forgive is housed in a body that struggles. Struggles to get dressed, to feed herself, to speak well, all the things that seem to matter so much now but actually mean nothing. I so often feel that I am not the best person to help her. I feel unqualified. It makes me cry. Conference reminded me of who she is. It reminded me of who I am. It helped me to square my shoulders and have the courage to move ahead. It didn't give me all the specific answers to all the questions I'd love to have answered. But it allowed me to feel renewed in the love and light of the gospel.




 |
| One day she'll stop picking her nose and I'll miss it. Just kidding, it drives me crazy but I love her so much anyway. |
 |
| Emmett points the way to truth and righteousness |
 |
| We kept him quiet by allowing him to eat no less than 20 muffins.He has a reverence problem. The slide helps. I wish we could bring it to sacrament meeting. |
 |
| Maisey is a listen and build kind of girl. At least I hope she listening. Worst case scenario she's being quiet and she builds cool structures. |
 |
| "Rainbows, like conference, remind us of God's promises to us". |
 |
| This was my best idea yet. I'm keeping this one. They all munched on healthy food for the whole session. |
No comments:
Post a Comment