I realized this morning that it was the anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing. Claiming one of my favorite perks of homeschool, I decided to move school to the memorial and museum.
We had found out just the day before that we are going to spend the next three years here in OKC. The combination of feeling recently indebted to so many who served my family during my accident, with the stories of all these Okies who had rushed in amidst tragedy to offer help, left me feeling humbled to be here. We never actually wanted Tinker. Not last year and not this year when we were hoping for a reassignment. But this experience helped me to appreciate the sturdy good people who live here. I told the girls that Oklahomans are resilient people. They know how to rebuild their lives and each other after tornadoes or tragedy.
Some of the pictures and videos were hard for the girls to see. And I think that's okay. I actually think it's important. Darkness and evil and unfair will certainly be a part of their lives. I wanted them to hear the stories of the brave people who rushed into those buildings to save perfect strangers. I wanted them to know that there is always light. There is always good. And mostly, I want them to be the good.
![]() |
| Anabelle wrote in the guest book that she was "inspired". I love that she claims Virginia as her home. |
![]() |
| Another point for Oklahoma. A statue of Christ with the words "and Jesus wept". |








No comments:
Post a Comment