Lila seemed scattered and I wondered because it was so late, if this would be a meaningful experience for her. I sat between the girls, snuggling in to both of them, hoping that it would. Since they changed the age of the meeting, there have always been video presentations and congregational hymns where we all stand and sing. This was the first time without any of it. It was just speakers and listening. The chapel was very dark so it was even hard to write notes. Lila was particular about needing to have a journal with her before we left the house. During the meeting I saw her open it at one point and she asked me how to spell Jesus. During General Conference I write key words on a board that the girls are looking for and they make tally marks next to the word to signify how many times they hear that word. I assumed this is what she was doing. After the meeting Anabelle asked her to see what she wrote and she said she didn't want to show us because she was waiting to use it for her next Primary talk. When I got her journal out of the car and saw what she wrote it brought me to tears. Last week I met with her neuropsychologist who explained to me how difficult it is for her brain to process information, and then have to do higher level functions with that information. The firings of her sodium channel make this process incredibly difficult for her. To see her sit and listen to a talk, pull out the essential elements (which she nailed), and write them down without losing the information, without any help from me, is astounding. It's probably not amazing to anyone but me, because I know what this process usually looks like and I know how painful it can be. I saw this paper and it touched me to the core. It brought instant tears. It is evidence that the spirit speaks to her, in her own way, in a way that she understands perfectly. It is evidence of who she is. This alone should remove all worry from my heart where she is concerned. Braden told her recently in her back to school blessing that the most important things she will learn will be about the gospel and loving her siblings, and that the Holy Ghost can direct her in all things, both in studies and other challenges. This simple page of notes is a testament to that.
One of the messages that stood out to me was to be bold and straightforward to our kids in teaching the gospel, because if we don't, the world will teach them Satan's lies. During a song I had two ideas come to me of things I should do to encourage two people. I found myself making plans to accomplish these things tomorrow and realized that it was the spirit directing me to these tasks.
On the way home Lila asked when we could meet President Monson. I had the chance to tell them some personal experiences and assure them that they could have a solid and sure testimony of the truth fullness of a living prophet without ever coming near him. I had a completely captive and engaged audience and I was so grateful for that opportunity.
Anabelle was very gracious and did a sweet job welcoming Lila into our traditions. Her perceptive kind heart is so very appreciated in our family.
Sitting between those two sweet girls, being exactly where we should have been, feeling the love and light of the gospel and knowing that they feel it too-nothing better.



No comments:
Post a Comment