I had a special night with my bigs. We raced back from crystal digging for a unique meeting with sisters from the general axillary presidencies in Salt Lake. We got there thirty seconds too late to sit on soft seats. My pregnant body was so sad as we took our seats one row behind comfort. But as the meeting began, I noticed a mom sitting just in front of us with her special needs son. His body looked to be about five, but his mind seemed like that of an infant. She sat spoon feeding him baby food and wiping his face. The congregation stood and sang "I am a child of God" for the opening hymn. As we sang, I watched this boy light up. His eyes literally shone and there was a joy that was as pure and undefiled as anything I have ever seen. He beamed as he listened to the words and looked up around him to watch all those singing. He looked like an angel from heaven. I could hardly keep the tears from streaming down my face. As the meeting I went on, I continued to observe this mom, on what was her opportunity to be at a womans meeting gaining reprieve and spiritual rejuvenation, gently caring for her son. She picked up his large body, set him on her lap, and rocked him back and forth as she caressed his leg and rubbed his back. When the meeting was over, I felt that I needed to speak to this sister whom I had never met. I approached her, not knowing what I was going to say. The tears came almost immediately as I told her that I had sat behind her and had watched her throughout the meeting. I told her that her son looked like an angel from heaven and that he radiated all the light and love of the Savior. I told her that she embodied the true essence of motherhood-lovingly caring for her son during what could have been a night away for her. I told her that I too had a special needs child and that I know how absolutely taxing it can be. I told her that she is doing an absolutely amazing job and I thanked her. She stood there and cried while I told her those things, and then we stood and hugged for a minute. And then I left. I never asked her name and I don't know where she's from. I think we both needed each other that night and I think I actually got the best seat in the house.
The talks were so beautiful and inspiring. Neill F. Marriott told a pioneer story about a relief society president who walked a long distance each day to care for the baby of a sick mother who was unable to do so herself. After carrying this burden alone for some time, she one day was tired and sick herself and did not want to go. Realizing that if she did not go they would not be cared for, she decided to go anyway. Upon finishing and returning home she fell asleep and dreamt she was bathing the Christ child. Then she heard the words, "When you have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me".
That story served was so touching to me. I also left with a deeper commitment to read the Book of Mormon daily, to memorize The Living Christ, and to remember that the seeds I'm planting in my family are not insignificant and that they will one day come to fruition. It makes me think carefully of the fruits I one day want to reap- realizing that I can not reap something I have not planted.
My heart is so grateful to snuggle between these two wonderful girls and feel moved the spirit. As we were leaving a woman behind us stopped me and said how much she enjoyed watching us sit together. I love the sisterhood of the church.
| Eating a late night burrito after the meeting |
No comments:
Post a Comment