These two. Wreaking havoc on homeschool daily. They dig in the dirt with tractors, they play cars in Emmetts room, they dance in tutus and run around in high heels, Elise always entering the room first, announcing in a declarative and important voice, "Presenting......" and then she puts them on display with no further words, as if the sight of them alone is enough of an introduction. And it always is. They fight- Elise yells at him in a decibal only she can reach, and then he smacks her or throws a car at her face. And then they apologize and hug and kiss each other and they're over it and laughing like it never happened in the very next moment. He often yells, "Mooooom?!" and I answer him and he says in a somewhat annoyed voice, "Nooooo, I'm talking to that Mom", pointing to Elise. And she looks pleased. Whether it's dolls or trains, dirt or dancing, they're both just happy to have a friend in the other. The activity never seems to matter. They are the creators of messes and distractions from school, and I often think how much easier homeschool would be without toddlers underfoot to constantly manage. But oh the laughs we would miss. Seeing them together makes my heart burst.
Recently, driving down the road, I hear the following conversation from their row:
Elise (in a somber voice leans over and very seriously and slowly says): "Emmett, prepare for me to pick your nose". Emmett doesn't say anything, but he dutifully and equally as seriously makes preparations. He sits back in his chair, straightens his body, and braces himself for what is coming. She leans over, and ever so carefully does just as she has promised. He squints his eyes and takes it like a champ. When she has finished she takes a drink of water, looks over at him, and spits it in his face. He thunders at her. "HEY! Say sorry to my face!" . In a high pitched voice free of remorse she says flippantly, "Sorry Face". Then they both crack up laughing.
When Elise is not doing what Emmett wants her to do I've heard him say to her in a threatening voice, "You say say ma'am to me, Leesy!". I have no idea why he does that.
I hope as they grow their relationship is always characterized by companionship, laughter, quick forgiveness, and encouragement of the other, as it is now. The E team brings love and laughter untold to our house.
No comments:
Post a Comment