Monday, March 2, 2009

Holding Lila close today


Our dear friends Brooks & Bethany have a baby who was born with a heart defect requiring three open heart surgeries in order for her to live. Her name is Emma Kate and she born not too long after Lila. She just had her second surgery last month, which was successful, although she has had some complications and a long stay in the hospital. About a week ago, Bethany made a request on her blog to pray for another family whose baby girl had the same condition as theirs, and was requiring the same surgery. I clicked on this family's link and immediately my heart ached for them. Each day this week I have checked their blog to see how little Gracie was doing and it has constantly been weighing on me throughout the week. Having recently gotten just a tiny sliver of an idea of what they must be going through, and having a little girl about the same age, I couldn't help but be overcome with compassion and heartache for their situation. I can remember 2 distinct days last summer, one in June, one in July, when I was faced with what it would be like to lose Lila. I remember one night in Children's hospital finding out finally what they really believed she had, and when I researched it online I found that it almost always kills infants. I remember the gravity of the situation hitting me like a truck. I don't think I'll ever forget what that night felt like. I think some of my most sincere prayers have been said kneeling at the side of a hospital bed and pleading with the Lord for Lila. For those nights I will always be grateful- because it was in those moments that I found where I stood with the Lord-what my heart is made of. I found out something about me on my knees- and that is that the life of my child does not determine my devotion to the Lord. I found that regardless of the trial, I will follow Him and be faithful. He knows that, and I know that. And I think that is what those moments are about. I guess all of that is why I have been so drawn to this sweet family in Utah that I have never met. This morning they are going to take her off life support and let her go. I just cried my eyes out when I woke up and read that. My heart absolutely aches for what they must be feeling. I also feel reminded of the great miracles we have been given in the gift of our two healthy girls. I feel grateful that today I get to be home with them and go to storytime and wash their laundry and clean their spilt juice. I feel grateful that Emma Kate's surgery was successful and that she will be okay. Mostly I feel grateful for the knowledge we have about eternal families and grateful that Gracie's family is strengthened by that too. For me, today is one of those days that you cherish your temple covenants and the sealing power that binds your family, come what may. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the comfort and love of the Savior that graces us, and ultimately has the power to heal. Please say a prayer for the Gledhill family for what today will bring for them.

6 comments:

Josh,Trish,Braden and Mackenzie said...

oh julie I love ya. You are such a great girl and mom. I can't imagine how in the world that must feel to have to let your precious baby go home. I would like to think that I would be able to handle that but I dont think i could. I feel so bad for that family. I will keep them in my prayers

Anonymous said...

Julie, I appreciate reading your blog. You always write the most inspiring and entertaining things. Thank you for sharing your life experiences.
I'm so happy that you guys are doing so Well.

Ashley said...

I love your true love and inspiration from Heavenly Father that you write about. I believe my cousin had a similar heart defect and she too died from it at only 8 months. It was very hard on our family and is still hard on my aunt because her sister had had a daughter around the same time so for her to see her with a daughter still was hard but also gave her comfort that she too would be with her daughter again. We let balloons go at the graveyard on her birthday every year to remind us all of her! I hope this family you wrote about remembers that they will one day be blessed to be with their daughter again and that she has other things she must do.

easleyfamily said...

Thank you for this post and reminding me what is important. and thanks for sharing your testimony, it has uplifted me and I'm sure many others! You're sweet!

Anonymous said...

Healthy children truly are a blessing from the Lord. Isn't it a miracle that things don't go wrong more often? Thanks for the post. My heart aches for this family.
Joseph Smith taught that we will have to opportunity to raise the children that we lose in this life in the millennium. He also says, "they were too pure, too lovely, to live on earth; therefore, if rightly considered, instead of mourning we have reason to rejoice as they are delivered from evil, and we shall soon have them again. … "
What amazing doctrines of love and comfort we have as Latter-Day Saints. May we all better share them with others who don't know.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=da135f74db46c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=1d6720596a845110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1&contentLocale=0

Mindy said...

Thanks for sharing this with me, Julie. I'll keep reading for sure. I love your stories, and I'm so glad your little Lila is okay! Cute kids, too.