Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Lila, in general

Little Lila Kristine is 9 months old today. Can I just say, Holy Chickens! How did that happen? I could have baked a whole other person in that time. I haven't, and I feel great about that decision, but you know...I could have.

Let's be clear about one thing-she's a good eater. A few weeks ago at the hospital she weighed 19 pounds. In the last few weeks everywhere we go, everyone comments on how much weight she's gained. And she's still been so happy. If everyone I saw called me fat and grabbed my thighs I don't think I would handle it as graciously. But that's Lila for you.

These last few weeks have been huge for Lila. At the same time she really started to pack on the pounds and look great and healthy, she also seemed to come to life in other aspects. She has started to catch up on everything all of a sudden. She rolls, claps, chats & babbles,puts things to her mouth, self-feeds, yells when you take something from her, and tries to move around. She says, "DaDa", which is super fair because he sees her for 20 minutes a day. But also convenient because when she wakes up at 3am I can say, "Honey, Lila wants you". She also says what sounds exactly like "Li-La". So she's got half the family down.

In the NICU they were always concerned that she didn't cry when she was hungry. She just always hung out, totally chill, and they thought it was tied into her medical mess. I now know that indeed that is just Lila. I go days without hearing her cry. I have to be careful not to take advantage of her goodness and accomadating personality.

Much to our disdain, disgust, & dismay, her favorite food seems to be peas. I tell myself that good moms feed their children peas, so I fight through the smell. But I do think it's very brave of me to do so. Often when I feed her, her eyes start to water and her nose starts to run so she still sees her allergist twice a week. Which I think is helping tremendously.

It seems that she has finally turned the corner and is starting to really thrive. Can you hear my huge sigh of relief? In the beginning the neurologists told us they weren't sure if there was any brain damage, that we would have to see if she met milestones to know. And then she didn't do much for this whole time so I was preparing myself for delays. But now I am hoping that she will continue to progress like she has in these last few weeks.

She and Anabelle crack each other up. It is not uncommon to hear uproarious falsetto laughter from both of them in the back seat or in their room. Is there a better noise? I submit that there is not.

There is no way to describe the way she makes me feel. She absolutely lights me up inside. She has always been such a delightful little soul and her sweetness melts my heart. She radiates love and peace and gentleness.



Good thing she's wearing the headband to keep those luscious locks out of her eyes.

We hear she looks just like her Dad because of her facial expressions

Demonstrating the mad clapping skills

Here's one thing I know about Lila- strawberries and blueberries are something she takes seriously.

Oh how I LOVE the dimples, creases, rolls and chub.

Our favorite new smile that she does. Maybe she's trying to prove that she does have a neck.

10 comments:

Aly said...

She is just so adorable. I think she looks just like Braden. Crazy! And yes, time flies! Lila, good for you. I would have slapped the person who grabbed my thigh rolls!

Philip and Jaime Connor said...

She is so cute. I'm glad she is doing so well.

Barbie and Craig said...

Happy 3/4 Birthday, Lila!!

xoxo Love,

Porter, your birthday buddy!

P.S. She is doing lots of things that Porter isn't , so don't worry about that girl!

emilyy said...

I love her southern thighs. If I lived close enough to squeeze them, I would.

easleyfamily said...

Love those cute little rolls!!! :)

Bryce, Anna, Porter, Avery and Colette said...

Julie- your posts always crack me up and make me smile... I need that often these days so thanks for your humor... I cannot believe that she is that old already time flies. She is adorable but how could she not be with you two for parents!!!

Mel said...

What a miracle that little girl is. I am so happy to hear that she is healthy and happy- such a blessing. I haven't even met her yet and she already melts my heart too. You are probably the only person who can make me laugh out loud while reading a blog. I love it.

Anonymous said...

I love your humor Jules. And...Lila's big blue eyes? They make me melt...she's darling

Anonymous said...

You realize if I were there right now I would squeeze her... She's so darling. It was fun getting to know a little of her while you were here!

Josh,Trish,Braden and Mackenzie said...

what a fabulously chubby little angel baby. I would love to just squeeze those fabulous thighs.