Amidst my many projects one night, I found myself in need of some batting. It was late and I just needed a small amount, hardly enough to justify buying a bag of it. So I got the thought that I would go into Anabelle's room while she was sleeping a find a stuffed animal that she wouldn't miss and.... well... you know....cut it's head off. But upon inspection of her animal kingdom (probably around 40 members or so) I couldn't find one that she doesn't play with regularly. Play with meaning, slept with, pushed in the stroller, burped, nursed, dressed up, toted, rocked, and danced with. There never was a more loved on group of animals. I knew she loved them but I was amazed when looking at them one by one to realize that she loves them ALL. She took a certain duck with her to the store last week and lost it there. Oh, the distress. She told me that she needed to call her Dad. So I dialed his number. And upon answering, this is what he heard: SOBBING. MORE SOBBING. SHOULDER SHAKING SOBBING. And then- "Daddy?! I .....took duck to the store....and SOMEONE STOLD HIM!!!"
It is not unusual for us to be crawling in our bed at night and in the process of snuggling in, find a family of puppies has already been tucked in. Or go to sit on a seat and find that under the cushion and the lining, way down in the springs, lies a sleeping pride of lions. We can't help but go to bed smiling when this happens.
I heard her singing a few weeks ago in her room (as she always is). I peeked in her room to see her dancing her bear about the room in a very romantic and tender way. And this is what she sang, "Oh bear, you're so gentle. And loving. And sweet. I'm gonna marry you in the temple. The temple of God".
The same bear bumped it's head on the counter a few days after she serenaded him. She immediately took him to the rocking chair and very seriously rocked him and sang the lullabye song. How dearly she cares for those around her.
And about her words to the bear- it has become apparent to me that marriage is somehow something she is thinking of. When playing the other day with her friend Clark at the park (yes we love to invite Clark to the park, and sit under a lark, and watch dogs bark, until it gets dark)they were playing under a gazeebo. I overheard her telling him that the gazeebo was the temple and that their baby was crying. Indeed her belly was full with rocks. Poor Clark stood there staring at her with wide eyes and a face that seemed to say, "Dude back off, I just came to kick a ball and throw some sticks". Everytime she sees him she tells him that when she grows up she's going to marry him and then her name will be Anabelle Viola Connor. I'm okay with that if that's what they want to do. I do hope Clark quits punching in her in the face before they make it official though. Not sure how all this marriage stuff became so much a part of her two year old life. Here's the bottom line though- Glad she knows it's important, glad she understands that location is everything, BUT, if anyone has an upcoming college graduation they could invite us to, we'd like to show her that as well.
3 comments:
I remember my kids at that age were very into marriage as well. Nathan and Joslyn both! They have been betrothed several times. They have backed off from that now that they are older. They now have other plans as well, like to be archaeologists, and artists. :)
too cute Julie! I on the other hand have the boy who wants to beat people up throw things and run around with his clothes off. I would love for him to take care of his stuffed animals instead of destroying them!
Hey Julie.
I would have to agree with you, Lena and Anabelle would be quite the duo. Partners in crime is more like it. Your Anabelle stories make me laugh my beak off. It's work (a lot of work) having a child like that, but boy is it fun too.
p.s. i would love access to your blog once you're private.
Take care and keep the funnies coming!
Always a fan,
Kelly
Post a Comment