Ryan's hand carved statue made from olive wood from Bethlehem
I loved playing Santa and getting everything all ready for Christmas morning
The dumping of the reindeer food
This is phase one of the craft center that Braden built for me. He let me choose a color of paint, which was half the present for me. We are not paint color compatible, so when I brought home this shade of green he just shook his head and smiled. Lucky for me there is still a bunch of it left so I am now deciding what else I can paint green. He might be surprised next time he comes home from a TDY. I love it though and am excited about getting all my necessary craft junk in its new home. It was good of him to make Maisey her own compartment. Wahoo for thoughtful & talented husbands!
As Christmas Eve approached and we prepared to spend our first Christmas alone as a family, we found ourselves feeling very glad not to be traveling. Braden was unable to kick his sickness and he was feeling pretty miserable. He spent a good part of the 24th in the garage, determined to finish the present he was making for me. The girls and I made bags of special magical reindeer food and delivered them to neighborhood kids. We had the Bailey's over for some games and Mom's puff balls, and I made French dip sandwiches, which I think will become my new tradition.
Christmas morning was, well...it was Christmas morning. Terrific in every way. We give our kids just a few presents but they seemed to still get plenty from other family members.
Anabelle was excited as anything.
Lila was completely apathetic towards presents. She was absolutely uninterested in opening them, even after seeing that Anabelle was opening toys and treats. I helped her open a doggy sleeping bag, which she crawled into, cozied up, and there spent the remainder of the time happily watching everyone else open presents. Until she saw the belly dancing costumes from Ryan and Angi- she seemed at home in the ensemble and chose to color in it the rest of the morning.
Anabelle would only wear hers if I tied something around her tummy so she could be modest.
I am so touched with the gift from Ryan. He wrote his experience of being in Bethlehem & I was so touched by it. I appreciate the the true spirit of Christmas which it represents to me.
Although we missed our families near and far (okay let's be real- just far. If we had any family near we'd be with them of course!), but it was nice to have a low key day without any of the chaos & stress that accompanies travel with little people. I love seeing all the cards from family & friends that we love and truly feel blessed to have in our lives. What a wonderful time of year, to slow down & take stock of our blessings, and hopefully pass on the love we have received to others with a little more generosity.
How sad I was to pack up all the decorations that filled our home, but, as Charles Dickens wrote, "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year".
No comments:
Post a Comment