We stayed home. And while we of course missed all the late nights of uproarious laughter and stupid games that come from greater family gatherings, I really loved not traveling. Nobody got sick. And I got to sleep because I was in my own bed. And did I mention that nobody was sick?
We gave them new jammies on Christmas Eve, an innovative and original idea that I came up with, and I see that a whole bunch of other families are copying me, which is so lame. Then we let them open a present which was the movie Rio.
We spent the next few hours stuffing stockings and wrapping presents in brown grocery bags and tying them up with string and then feeling magical (and richer) about it. I love being Santa Claus. I love being up on Christmas Eve with Braden anticipating our kids near future elation.
Anabelle's only concern in the morning was why Santa would move our furniture around (we got them a jump house which was assembled but not inflated and covered with blankets). When Lila awoke we had this conversation:
Me: Lila! It's Christmas today!
Lila: It is? Merry Chismas!
Me: Santa came last night!
Lila: He did? But where is he?
Me: He's gone. But do you think he left you something? What do you hope Santa left you?
Lila: A donut!!
For the whole month of December each time she was asked what she wanted for Christmas she would say a donut. She is such a simple, beautiful soul.
Each time one of the girls opened a present they would be ecstatic and run off to their room to play with it. We had to keep calling them back to open presents. Weird kids.
It was fantastic to spend that sacred day with the people I adore more than anything.
And of course, we felt very grateful that Braden didn't have to leave before the holidays. It made the season all the more meaningful.














1 comment:
Love the brown paper. I'm stealing that this year. Seems like the right thing to do after you stole my pajama idea. . .
Post a Comment