We can consider this a part 2 to the post I wrote last night. After writing that I jumped in the shower, feeling sick and tired and exhausted. I was thinking about the experience of having a hard day. I found myself inevitably thinking about my Mom. I won't say her life is full of horrific headlines or tragic events. But I will say that she has endured ongoing stress and disappointments, year after year. I have watched her encounter trial after trial throughout my whole life, seemingly without a break. I have never heard her complain. Not once ever. She has never expressed any attitude of "why me" or "it's not fair". Quite the contrary. She has always maintained a sincere gratitude for all her blessings, even when, or especially when, it seems she should be buried in grief or heartache. She doesn't speak negatively about others, even when they fully deserve it. She works hard and then she trusts. You can feel her dependence on God. She is humble and thoughtful and she has some serious southern grit running through her veins. I don't know what all of Braden's motivations or thoughts were when we named Anabelle after her and my Grandma. But for me, these were my exact motives. I don't know what sorts of battles Anabelle or the other girls will come up against in their lives. But with all my heart, whenever they do, I hope they find in themselves that same strength that comes to them from their Grandmother. I hope they are women who can do hard things, without becoming hardened. I hope they, like her, can find reasons to feel gratitude and be happy even on the dark days. Her strength is astounding. Her faith is absolutely unshakable. Her spirit is gentle and willing. She is classy and cheerful and she is seriously concerned with everyone she loves starting their day with protein. I can't imagine who I would be without her. I believe part of her mission on this earth is to prepare her posterity for times ahead with the faith, strength, and grace that will see us through. Her contribution in that arena is without question. I find the deeper I get into motherhood, the more I find myself looking to her example.
Hey Mom! Thanks for not being a whiner! I appreciate your unfailing attitude of thankfulness in all things. I hope I can be like that when I grow up. And for Pete's sake, I hope to get your hair as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment