Wednesday, April 8, 2015

I'm no spring chicken. But we did see some, regretably.

Last week on Elise's birthday I thought it would be fun to take the kids to see the baby animals in Logan. I was wrong. 

I have gotten that little advertisement in the mail every spring we have lived here and have always wanted to go. This time I recognized it as my last chance. Braden wanted me to wait for him to get home from this TDY to celebrate her birthday so I thought it would be something we could do that she would love. I'm positive this one day alone has robbed me of potential months of my life, or at least quality of life in terms of mental capacity. 
The kids look happy in these pictures. They said it was awesome. So I guess it was worth it? I do truly wish I had stayed home and showed them clips of baby animals on YouTube. But, since I have all these cute pictures, I'll post them and move on. And never take them anywhere ever again. 











My neighbor also went with us. Elise loves to hug the Call boys. They're never sure what to do with all the affection from our girl squad. 

Anabelle holding Ace to keep him warm.
Although I found this day largely unenjoyable, I was so very impressed with Anabelle. As soon s the snow started falling and the wind started blowing, the little kids started to cry as were seriously under dressed. Immediately, and without prompting, Anabelle asked, "OK, who wants my scarf? And who wants my hat? Who wants to put their hands in my pockets?" Then she put Maisey (who was crying the most), in the middle of the circle and told everyone to huddle around her to keep her warm. She had the lightest jacket on and I know she was cold. She never said one things about it. She just cheerfully made up games to keep the little kids having fun and distracted. It was leadership in the best way possible. Her attitude even helped me. She very literally saved the day.  
I was holding Emmett because he was sleeping and there were no strollers allowed. I was also holding Elise with my other arm because she was cold and crying and exhausted. My arms and back were aching and I eventually had to put her down. A sweet lady behind me tied the blanket around Elise to keep her happy for a minute so I could have a break.
We waited for an hour and a half in hail and flurries with 8 crying freezing hungry kids to look at these bears for 45 seconds. I think I would have been happier if one had bitten me just so it wouldn't have been so anti-climactic.  







This is Lila's truly joyful smile. She is in possession of a baby of one kind or another-and she is in her happy place. Plus, they share a hair gene so I think there's an extra special connection here.





Is Maisey trying to pop this bird?


Oh my gosh, it's working....she's popping this bird. 
There is no way this bird made it through the day. I'm pretty sure about 5000 other moms have this same picture of their child also squeezing the life out of this very same ducky. I suddenly have guilt. 
Elise loving on this baby duck warmed my heart several degrees.  It made the day worth it even. Just such a precious few minutes.
























No comments: