Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Did I spell my own kid's name wrong?




Lila is a week old today. We are still unsure about what is causing her struggles. The Doctors said over the weekend that they would like to give her some time to mature and work it out on her own before they subject her to a battery of invasive & exhaustive tests since she already seems a bit overwhelmed and fragile. We are closing in on the period of time in which if she were going to "grow out of" the behaviors she exhibits, it would be within the next day or two. She had brain and heart scans yesterday which check out okay, at least in preliminary reports. She will have her chest scanned this morning. She had two episodes where she turned blue yesterday while I was nursing her and two more during the night where she required oxygen. Every time this happens, the go home count starts over as she has to go five days completely clear of any incident before they will release her. She failed what they call "open crib" yesterday, which is to say that they took her out of the warmer and off the IV to see how she would do, and she could not maintain adequate body heat on her own so she went back in after an hour. She is off the IV though and off phototherapy for her bilirubin scores. It is a 'one day at a time' sort of situation we have going on here.

So the universal feedback has been that we should have spelled Lila with a Y instead of an I. Um, I gotta say I still feel good about it. Braden says everyone will say "Leela". That's ok. That's when I'll say "It's LIla". They will also say "how old is your little boy?" even when I have her in a pink dress with an outrageous bow in her hair. And I will say, "Oh he's 1 month". Braden decided on the spelling of Anabelle and in 21 months not one person has spelled it right. I'm ok with that.

Lila has been dubbed "sweet girl" by the nurses here. She really does have such a strong presence of love and sweetness. She has such a gentle demeanor about her. Hopefully we'll take her home soon so we can catch up on lovin up on her.


10 comments:

kat reynolds said...

Lila spelled with a "Y"? No way! I have known several Lila's, and none of them spell it with a "Y". You are in our prayers. Tay is especially worried and tears up when she thinks about your sweet little new one.

Anonymous said...

Julie and Braden, I like the "i", too. I carry a prayer in my heart constantly. I feel that your family is definitly being watched over. Gary talked with the young women up at camp (Bishops' night) about "putting your anchor in Christ". As one of his examples, he spoke of the birth of Lila, and your immediate trust in the Lord. Of course, he could hardly talk. We love you.

Kristine said...

Julie, after 24 years we just realized we spelled our son's name wrong. (Cody Phillip Reynolds should be Cody Philip Reynolds, his mom didn't know how to spell her own dad's name.) You know what, it doesn't change who he is. You know the saying, "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". I spell it the way you like it. Guess what? It wouldn't change our prayers a bit.

Love you,

Dad

millie said...

Your girls are very beautiful. I admire your pluckiness (sorry if that word doesn't mean anything to you. My mom uses it. It is a compliment...just in case) and your trust in the Lord, as your mother in law mentioned.

You will be in our prayers.

Thanks so much for sending me your link. You have been in my thoughts the last few weeks. Now I think I know why.

Ashley said...

Julie congrats on the little one! She's a doll. I'm sorry to hear that she's having so many difficulties but I'm sure she'll pull through strong just like Anabelle did! Congrats!! We'll keep you in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

We'll be thinking of you, and your family is in our prayers

Atwell Family said...

I agree with Kat. When MaShay told me her name I asked if it was spelled Lila? She is a beautiful baby girl and is ever in our thoughts and prayers. I can't think of a better family to be born into. Annabelle and Lila are lucky to have parents like you. Our thoughts and prayers are ever with you. All Our Love. Dwight and Lora Atwell

Mel said...

She is beautiful and I'm sure she's a tough cookie like her mom so she'll totally pull through. You guys are in our prayers- even Dallin is praying for his cousin Lila, it is so sweet. Anabelle's comment to "Dora" made us laugh so hard- what a cutie. Thank you for the updates- we think about you all the time and wonder how things are going. We love you guys.

Amy said...

Oh wow Julie!!! That must be so scary for you guys!!!! Hope everything turns out okay and they can figure out whats going on!! You're in my thoughts!

Stephanie said...

Julie, I just luv ya. You and your family are in my prayers. I know you know, but it'll all work out. You're such a stud!XO!