Saturday, July 19, 2008

Wow, a week went by?

I've been easing myself back into exercising. I decided one morning this week that I might try to break into a little jog during my morning walk. This was the same morning that I was trying out a great jogging stroller given us recently by a friend. I start out walking and Anabelle says, "Mom, go faster". So I start running and she begins clapping and yelling, "Oh! Yea Mommy!" So I start thinking that perhaps this is a good situation. She's so encouraging and excited about my effort. This could be my ticket back into shape. So after a bit I start feeling sore in all the right places so I return to walking. Anabelle immediately says, "Mom, go faster. Run Mom. Run again. Go fast again." Hmph. So I run again. You know, trying to impress the coach. But after a few minutes when I try to walk again I get the same nagging,"Run Mom, go faster. Again, again Mom. Go fast again". I spare her the details about the labor but I do briefly explain the situation and tell her that I'm tired and need to take a break. She says to me with furrowed mocking brows and pursed lips, "Oooohhhh. Mommy's tired. Mommy needs to rest." It was a voice that told me my kid thinks I'm sissy sauce. Well I'm not taking that voice from a one year old. So I finish my little run and wobble inside to get the olympian toddler a drink because she says she's hot and thirsty. I think tomorrow I'll take Lila in the stroller and Anabelle can sit the bench.

I had a nagging thought that the reflux medicine from the first hospital had caused the seizures in Lila. I really felt strongly that that might be the case after researching the drug and finding that it has not been recommended for children and its severe side effects are neurological problems and seizures. My detective skills may not be the sharpest, but the seizures started shortly after that medicine began, and stopped immediately when we took her off that drug. So on Tuesday I didn't give her the morning dose. Still no seizure all day. So I also skipped the nightly dose. No seizure. The last medicine she had was Monday night and she hasn't had anything happen all week. Now I'm no doctor but the truth is they have no idea what is going on with her either, so she has just been medicated experimentally. I will take her to see the neurologist on Monday and maybe he will be upset that I did that. But I'm sort of over letting the doctors be the boss. In retrospect I feel like there was some sloppy medical care and perhaps some of this mess could have been prevented. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm open to that but in the mean time I feel okay about having stopped the medicine. Who knows where we'll go from here. All I know is that there's just nothin better than cuddling your own baby and smelling their newness and that's what I'm doing right now so things aren't so bad in my world.

4 comments:

Bryce, Anna, Porter, Avery and Colette said...

Julie congrats on the run... I didn't even start running for a lot longer and still have never gotten back to where I used to be... I think there is a lot to say for a mother's intuition, nothing to the extent of what you've been through, but we had a small issue when Porter was born. Hearing the stuff with Lila, if it really was the medicine and sloppy medical care, I say you have a lawsuit on your hands I mean really... an infant having seizures like that... no excuse its horrible and it horrible you've had to go through all of this. I am SO grateful you are home with you sweet little girl and things seem to be returning to normal for your little family!

Philip and Jaime Connor said...

Joslyn does the same thing to me when we go running. It can be motivating, but can also be just plain annoying. I'm glad things are going so much better. There is a lot to be said for a mother's intuition and I think yours is spot on about that medication. How frustrating to have them testing stuff out on her without any regard for the consequences. Hope that everything continues to go well, we love you guys.
Jaime

sunny said...

Okay, so we've had a lot of experience with drs and such in the short amount of time since we've started having children, and you know, I really don't trust drs very much. I really feel that a parent has to look out for their child, just like you've done, because sometimes things don't click in those heads and I really wonder what's going on up there. Anyway...I agree about the lawsuit. Seizures can cause neurological problems. And seriously, don't let drs push you around. Oh the stories we could tell...

Good job Julie. You're a great mom.
-Sunny

easleyfamily said...

I say you go with what feels right to you...doctors don't know your baby like you do. Hang in there!
Way to go on the run...my "newborn" is 7 months and I still can't run like I want to!