Sunday, April 11, 2010

Immensely happy

Let it be known that I had a supremely magnificent day today. It of course started at three and didn't quite make the turn until about 9 when we made it to church in Montgomery. The girls were entertaining and delightful in church, there were good talks and good lessons. Then we went back to the base with Braden and I brought ribs and a picnic for his whole flight, plus some. While the grill was heating and the ribs were cooking it was just our family playing together. Braden and I passing the football while chatting about recent happenings, all while Anabelle sings her heart out on a stage. Perfect weather, yummy ribs, a very happy me. Just to spend a precious hour as a family doing just what we would do at home is so satisfying. It fills me up in a tremendous way. Not to mention that I had complete mobility of all parts and pieces previously mentioned and cursed. It was cool to meet his flight mates and hear some stories and put names with faces. Anabelle made the rounds to each table and met every single "soldier" I think. She had been chatting with one guy and when he had to leave she said, "it's okay, I'll just go make a new friend", and she walked to another table of people she hadn't met yet.

Everything took a heart wrenching turn when Braden went to her side of the car to say good-bye. She did the slow lip curl, you could really see all the emotion welling up inside her and then the tears finally came, "Daddy, I don't want you to go. Why do you have to go? Why can't you stay with us?" It was a sad sad scene. I haven't been all choked up like that since I said goodbye to him myself. And it didn't get better. She could see that it was breaking his heart to say goodbye and have to leave so all the way home and throughout bedtime she kept saying through sobs, "He didn't want to leave me either. It's hard for Dad too". I put her to bed in his prized Rocky t-shirt as a consolation. It seems to get harder and harder for her as the weeks go by. I watch her with him in the little play time they get on Sundays and you can see how much she needs that and how it lights her up inside. I'm so grateful that we are this close and get that rare opportunity. Never have I loved Alabama so much. In fact, we had to pay some state taxes and to help me feel better about it I just tell myself that it's money we pay to see Braden on Sundays.

Speaking of how I love Alabama, I finally got a picture tonight of a sign that I've been loving since we got here. Notice that it is not endorsed by any particular church. It would not surprise me if my very tax dollars go to just such causes as this. I always feel safe when I see it because I only pass it on my way home from church. Whew. Except I'm positive Alabama doesn't count my church- I think maybe we are the devil it's warning about. Either way, love this greasy state- Sweet Home Alabama.





3 comments:

Shannon said...

That sign has always freaked me out. Alabama and culture is interesting, to say the least... never have been able to describe it properly.

Hope many more good days will be coming your way. Yall need them!

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie - I have some questions for you...can I email ya?

Anonymous said...

Hello...here's my email: thenowfam@yahoo.com Thanks!