End of week 8 report:
Patience: gone
Nerves: shot
Must find a way to decompress from Mommy-mode. Soon. For every one's sake. Particularly after yesterday.
The day starts with me taking note that I am in fact gaining weight at a more rapid rate than I did with either previous pregnancy. Despite the time I try to exercise, I feel the gooey, gooshey morph happening. It's to be expected but I won't lie, it never feels good. Not a big deal but never ever a good way to start the day.
I need 2 new front tires. I had previously called Costco to find out what time they opened. Knowing that I will have the girls with me, and thinking for some absurd reason that this was a good idea, I decide to get there early, be first, and thus minimize wait time. Five other people shared my plan but apparently did not change a last minute blow-out diaper because they got there before me. The only place to wait is outside and Lila wants to get down and run, as any one year old wants to do. In the street. Anabelle spots a package of fruit snacks in my purse, which I have brought as my last line of defense should things get ugly. She wants them. Not in two hours. She wants them now. It doesn't matter that she ate breakfast a mere 10 minutes ago. Lila is going nuts to be free. Anabelle's begging is turning into quite a scene. Finally we get let inside and the scene in there is no better. And on and on it goes. I realize after 20 minutes that this indeed may have been my stupidest idea yet. Anabelle has to go pee she says. There is no bathroom open. So I take Lila's hand, which she hates, we begin the march all the way around the back of the store so we can pee in a bush. Lila has had enough. She loses it. All body parts are flailing. She is yelling at me. Mean while Anabelle has decided since I am preoccupied that she will just squat and go pee all by herself. She of course just pees all over herself. And there in the back of the Costco parking lot, I had a moment of a maternal breakdown. On any regular day I might have been annoyed or a bit put out, but in my current frazzled, tired, achy state, it was all just a little too much. I didn't say anything but I sat down on the curb and looked at the sky and tried to breathe deeply. And Anabelle in all of her three year old wisdom said, "Mom, it's okay. It's just no biggie. Pee dries". She tried showing me birds flying by and trucks honking to distract me. It's nice that when my maternal abilities fail, hers step right up. We spent the morning trying to pass the time and I hardly cared when they tire guy called and told me I needed four new tires instead of two. Usually $250 dollars will evoke some sort of emotional reaction from me. I only saw it in terms of a longer wait time.
And to wrap it up a man looked at the girls, looked at my stomach, and asked me if I was trying to repopulate the world. There were no words. Just a look.
The day continued in such a fashion. We had an appointment in the afternoon with Marilyn and Anabelle was a complete rascal. By the time we got home at night after all the things we had to do I was no story book Mom. When Lila threw her plate of beans and rice across the kitchen I just nodded. It seemed appropriate.
And now for my very favorite part of the day...
Anabelle crawled into bed after baths and jammies and said, "I'm waiting for Snack Mom to read me a story. You are really good at eating. That's why I named you Snack Mom".
A perfect (and hilarious) end to a perfect day.
4 comments:
Oh how I love you Julie!!! I've had way too many mommy meltdown days lately and I haven't even been taking the single parent load of everything for the last 8 weeks like you. Hang in there!! It's good Anabelle is logical enough to say that pee-dries. Last time i took Molly potty at Costco her shirt got a little wet from washing hands and had a full on melt-down. To the point that people were looking at me like I was kidnapping her from the bathroom.
wow....you're my hero =D
Pee dries... indeed it does. Oh goodness, that my friend was one of those "Let the wild rumpus start," days, eh?
Just caught up on your blog. So much fun to see the pictures, and to read your entries. I felt sorry for you, yet you are so darn entertaining I just laugh out loud! Are you tired of hearing, "it's all worth it?" Love you, see you soon! Love, Mom R
Post a Comment