Friday, June 3, 2011

Bunnies and chickies and lambies


This is Florida's bunny.

All this warmer weather brings the seasons new babies out to meet the world.

For us, it has meant watching your step for snakes in the yard (the other day a snake climbed up and under a friends car while she was standing next to it), not getting the mail after dark for fear of running into the black bears (literally- I was outside with some neighbors and a HUGE bear mosied past us and went into our neighbors garage for a few minutes), and watching for gators (as one was spotted coming up the sewage drain onto our street recently).

I am unacquainted with the animals generally associated with spring. I saw all the bunnies and chicks when I went to buy Peeps but frankly, I'm feeling a bit of discrimination around here. I intend to write a strongly worded email to candy makers near and far that we the people of the Forgotten Coast of Florida demand representation in all things cavity causing. Why not a sugar coated alligator or a rattler on a stick? Make em pink and put a bow on it for all I care, but don't leave them out of the decor and goodies. Just because....what? They may or may not have the tendency to eat small children and prey on the unsuspecting?

In my personal opinion, we are the sick ones for eating candy and treats molded to look like our soft, tame, furry friends. We should be chowing down on chocolate that looks like a horrible menacing creature, thus sending them a message that we cower no longer nor do we fear their death invoking powers. Conscientious consumers unite! Demand that we no longer subject ourselves to this great divide in the candy aisle. Equal representation for all spring babies, regardless of their desire to eat our young!

Wow. What a weird mood I'm in. I'm going to bed.

No comments: