Saturday, July 2, 2011

"I'm FREE!"

I hoped this day would never come.

But come it did.

So I decided I might as well make the most of it.

You know the drill- make a cake, blow up balloons, sew a quick crown and banner, the whole shabang.

I was really, really, really hoping Lila would stay two forever.

That her hands will always have those dimples right below her knuckles.

That she will always ask for "mo nook pease".

That her sweet little voice will always be heard at all hours of the day and night singing her songs as she wanders around.

And when I come around the corner I could always find her sitting in the book nook, legs crossed, slowly turning the pages as she twirls her hair.

I asked her if she wanted presents for her birthday. "No thanks, I don't need any presents". That response made me wonder if she knew what the word present meant. So I asked her if she wanted new toys. "No, thanks. I don't want any new toys." I asked her if she wanted cake. "YES! I want some cake!!" I asked her if she wanted friends to come play. "YES, I want to play with my friends!".

This simplicity is one of her finest features. A simple, happy, joyful girl. It just does not take much.

Braden asked her in the morning, "Lila, what is today?" and she said, "It's my Birthdaycake!!".

Our neighbor Michelle wanted to make her a cake so I told her Cookie Monster would melt Lila's heart. And it did. It was so fun to watch her.

Her best buds came over and they threw each other around in the ball pit and ate cake until their faces were blue.

She did end up with a few presents, and true to her word, she was not so interested. I gave her a giant bouncy ball first and that was all she wanted (one of her favorite things to do is chase bouncy balls around the house). We did get her to open the rest, which she liked, but was so unlike most kids on their birthday. Refreshing actually.

I love to celebrate other people's birthdays because it gives me the chance to think about that person all day- how grateful I am for them and what they mean to me. My heart is so full to have had this little ray of sunshine for the last three years.


We bought her panties to try to inspire excitement for potty training. No dice. Need help, immediately.

New shades, new ball.









This picture is the essence of Lila.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As for potty training - I don't have ANY experience attempting to potty train ANYone, buuuuut, I was once potty trained.

My parents did just the same, brought me home some big girl panties. They had all the disney princesses, so I in turn named them, "Princess Panties."

My mom's rule was I started off every day in my princess panties. Once I had an 'accident,' she would make me wear the training pants or diaper or what not.

Every day when my dad got home from work, he would check to see if I was in my princess panties or not. Well, one day I wasn't. ...and he was just so disappointed [ or at least pretended to be ]. After that day, my goal was to have my princess panties on so that my dad would be SO happy and give me a ride on his shoulders in his flight suit [ I loved flying as a kid too ]. :)

Granted, SERE school won't allow for daddy influence the next few weeks, but it's worth a shot? :)


GOOD LUCK!

Philip and Jaime Connor said...

Cute girl, cute cake, looks like fun. Happy birthday Lila!