Let us ever so briefly recall last summer when I signed Anabelle up for the military kids run. And there was weeping and wailing and and a meltdown of colossal magnitude. So this year when sign-ups rolled around once again I decided it would be a nice opportunity for her to face it again with all the courage and maturity she has gained over the last year. I pumped her up for it in the weeks preceding the race, reminding her how fast she is and expressing my utmost confidence in her not only to finish, but to smoke all the boys older than her (because she can). By the time it was race day she was ready. As luck would have it, it turned out to be a very cold and very rainy morning. We assumed they had cancelled the race, but decided to drive by anyway. There was no on at the starting line so I asked the lady standing under the awning if they had rescheduled the race. She said that people had showed up and wanted to run so they had already started the race. Oh the tears from the backseat. Anabelle decided she would run it in the cold rain, even though she was starting so far behind everyone else and really had no chance of winning. Braden ran it with her and he said she was running a pace that he himself would keep. Although it (once again) didn't go as we wanted, I was really proud of her for running anyway. She demonstrated exactly what I wanted her to. Truth be told, I was proud of me for getting out of the car to take a picture of them.


No comments:
Post a Comment