Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Anabelle-ism's




I do so enjoy observing the frolickings of this spirited child. And the conversation's not too shabby either.

In the last month:

- Talking about Braden's parents: "I hope they have another baby soon so they're not just a grandma and grandpa. Don't you think it's sad to be away from adorable little children?"

- Skyping with Tim & Katasha and they have to talk to someone else for a minute and ask her to hang on: "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm just not really the kind of kid who likes to wait for other people".

- Braden discovers the toilet in her bathroom is full and asks her who forgot to flush. She assures him it was not her. He asks her who else uses her toilet. She says, "Dad, what color is it?" He tells her it is brown and green. "Oh, then it's not mine".

- I got a tan the other day and when Anabelle saw me she noticed and said, "Oh Mom, you look like you speak Spanish. People who are brown speak Spanish."

- She was telling me how excited she is to go to school. "But I hope there are no spanish speakers in my class". I am horrified and ask WHY?! "Because what if they try to talk to me and I don't know what they're even talking about. The only word I know is 'hola'".

- "Why is Dad such a scaredy cat about being so old"?

- She was complaining about not liking the green onions in her dinner (the green onions that she chopped and put in). I gave her the classic "Well I think you should just say Thank You to your Mom and eat your dinner because there are some kids who are hungry right now because they have nothing to eat at all." Her reply: "Well then can't we give this food to them?!"

- She and I were discussing current events in world politics last week because she asks more questions than the Riddler. I told her about the no fly zone in Libya and somehow about China's child restrictions and so on. As he conversation evolved I decided it would be a good time to put a plug in for Braden's job to help her realize what he does so that maybe she would be more okay with him leaving. I was explaining to her how blessed we are to live in this country and the things that other people suffer in their countries for a lack of freedom and how when Dad goes away he will be helping other people who don't have the same comfortable lives that we have. I told her we won't be sad because we'll just be so proud of him. As I sat trying to sell her on this idea, becfore I knew it she was consoling me. "And you won't get to go on any more dates with him. And that will make you sad not to have date night and get us a babysitter but you'll be okay. But you'll be sad, but that's just what he has to do. I'm sorry about date night Mom".

- "Mom, you are like a restaurant to Dad. You just get him whatever he wants. And he likes that".


I was working on a project for church with my cricut and she collected all my scraps (because it is impossible for me to be crafting without her breathing on my shoulder). As she added each piece she told me the name (a word that she made up) and what it was. Each piece is part of an indian village. It eventually went all the way down the hall, tiny piece by tiny piece. Her mind makes me tired. No wonder she sleeps so well at night.

-

No comments: